Friday, October 23, 2009

Dervish



"Dervish concert performances are a myriad of tones and moods ranging from high energy tunes, played with fluidity and intuitiveness, to beautifully measured songs, from charming lyrics of life and love, to inspiring melodies that life audiences from their seats."
Click HERE to listen to some sample songs!

Last night I was treated by my fiddle student Susan to be her date to an Irish performance by the band "Dervish". It's very sad that Alex and I hardly take advantage of the great little theatre just down the street from our house. Missing out with groups like Pink Martini, The Eroica Trio, and Mikhail Baryshnikov practically performing in our backyard.
I tend to only identify with my Italian heritage for whatever reason. I feel very Italian! I eat very Italian! But when I listen to Irish music, I can feel the other 40% of my genetic heritage come to life. Passed down to me through my black Irish Great Grandmother Isobel Greene. My favorite song last night was "Take your hands off Red Haired Mary!"

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I HEART Irish music! (My dad's a full 100%, ya know; we ate enough potatoes to make up for the famine to prove it!) I also LOVE Celtic Storm -- check them out. And I'm so going to dig out my Pink Martini CD now!