Sunday, September 20, 2009

We adopted a kid!

Meet our kid Bandit
Moki meeting his new brother
Bandit is in the middle of his triplet sisters. A teenage goat is behind them.
Bandit's father Decker
Decker looking at the camera mid drink
Cute baby lambs!

So Friday night I was done teaching and I was hanging out in the kitchen with Alex. He said "I almost came home with a baby goat today!" and I said "Awww!! You shouldn't have said anything because now I want one! Would it be hard to take care of a goat?" and he said "Actually, not at all. We've stopped mowing our grass on the acre lot and we could tether him around the lot and he'd be just fine and happy". So the next day, with Alex's permission, I set out to find that truck full of baby goats for sale. But they were gone. There was a sign for a Farm Fair the following day and people standing by the sign told me they would be selling baby goats there from 9-2. So I wake up today full of excitement and zoom out to the farm fair and, sure enough, NO BABY GOATS. So I walk up to the goat cheese stand and ask him about baby goats. He says he has a friend on Waiki'i Ranch with goats (about 10 minutes away from our house). I should call her. So I call, and she said "Yes! I have baby goats for sale". I have always wanted a Nigerian Dwarf goat, but I didn't want to sound too picky and I asked "How big do your goats get?" and she said "I have a sweet 15 week old Nigerian Dwarf goat baby boy named Bandit that I would love to sell to you for $100. He's been fixed and weened from his mother too". So I call Alex and he said "Go get that goat!"
The ride home was bumpy and rough, so right now Bandit (I think we'll keep his name, but our family and friends think we should name him Billie and Goatee. I've always wanted a goat named Scape (scape goat!) is resting in his kennel in our garage. Moki is so excited and hasn't left the front of the kennel yet. Goats are naturally scared to death of dogs, but Moki is a very special boy and I think he and Bandit will make great friends!
Stay tuned for more pictures!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I will admit that your post title -- "We adopted a kid!" -- made me stop dead in my tracks for a second, so to speak. :) I'm SO happy for you and your newest family member. Bandit looks like a real charmer and I'm sure he and Moki will be the best adopted bros ever!