Monday, January 25, 2010

A Whale of a time

(not my photo, but you get the picture!)
On Sunday I went to Hapuna Beach with my friend Fabie. I have heard that the whales are migrating right now and putting on quite a show for us folks in Hawaii. I have seen far off distance whales breaching before. But they look like little blue shapeless dots lacking detail and form, on the horizon. I've never seen one up close.
Until Sunday. I was talking with Fabie when I notice behind her a huge, up close, fully detailed whale breaching out of the water. I couldn't speak. I just squealed and pointed.
By the time she whirled around to look, he was gone. He wasn't as close as this picture, but close enough for me to see his eyes and his open mouth. It was just amazing to see a whale in real life.
Interesting facts:
The heart of a humpback whale is 400 pounds. They weigh 50 tons. They live 50 years. There are 15,000 world wide. They usually swim at 3-9 mph but can travel up to 15mph when in danger!

No comments: