Friday, March 11, 2011

My heart goes out to the people in Japan

Here are pictures of the damage in Hawaii. (Double click to enlarge)
Kona Inn (my parents and I had lunch there last month!)


Downtown Alii Drive


House floating in Kealekekua Bay. It's a two story vacation rental right on Manini beach.
Four Seasons Hualalai Resort-Beach Tree pool









Thank you for your thoughts, phone calls, and texts. I feel so sad for Japan. Watching the coverage of the tsunami is heartbreaking. It seems that sometimes the most destructive part of an earthquake are the tsunami's and fires that follow.
Last night the tsunami alarms blared all throughout the night. But my sleepless night pales greatly in comparison to the people of Japan. We are safe at 2500 foot elevation here in Waimea. Alex's parents evacuated up to Grandma Ruth's house. Alii Drive has been damaged (I've attached a picture) and there is some flooding in the harbors. Coasts are closed today and so are some schools. Last night I shot up out of bed. I was shaking, whimpering and my heart was just racing but I couldn't answer Alex when he asked me what was wrong. Then less than a minute later the first tsunami alarm went off. He said "What, are you psychic?" I thought I felt an earthquake.
I will keep you posted. It can be unnerving living on an island in the middle of the Pacific Rim! You really feel how powerful and alive our planet Earth is out here. Volcanos, earthquakes, tsunamis, and hurricanes, Oh My!

1 comment:

Bookwerme said...

Thanks for sharing the photos. They remind me of the devastation in St. Croix after Hugo. Recovery in Japan will, no doubt, take years. STX still has evidence of Hugo visible.