Friday, July 16, 2010

I have another sister named Kimi

There is something powerful about the date July 16th. 7 years ago today I moved to Hawaii. 5 years ago today we had our Seattle wedding celebration. 1 year ago today my Korean sister Mi- Jeong had a baby girl named Mingi. And today, my mother received a phone call from the adoptive mother of Kimi's younger sister Mi-Hyang who was adopted 17 years ago in the United States. Just like our family, they kept her last name Kim and made it her first name. This other Kimi was 5 when she came to America and has many memories of her early life in Korea with our Kimi. One touching story was that she remembers after Kimi left, they received a phone call from her and listened to her playing the piano so well.
I was bawling when my mom gave me the news just an hour ago I feel that the circle is finally complete now. All four siblings are finally reunited. Eighteen years later, these siblings are all alive and well against all odds. 90 year old Harriet Hodges, who was the director of placing children in Korea with hospitals and programs in the United States, remembered the Kim family well. And in this past year, she not only located us in Seattle, Kimi's family in Korea, but she also located Kimi's other family in Georgia. I'm just buzzing right now. July 16th is a very significant day.

2 comments:

Bookwerme said...

So Kimmy is in GA? What a lot of excitement for your family!!!

SalernoStrings said...

I'm not sure what part of Georgia she and her family is in. But I'm sure we'll have a family reunion soon!